Monday, December 13, 2010

roots to grow, wings to fly


It’s hard to explain how much having a place to call my own means to me. It’s difficult to fully grasp what it’s like to be homeless if you’ve never been in that situation before. I couldn’t even imagine until it happened to me. I haven’t been homeless in two years now, but the memories remain fresh enough to still be a little tender when dwelled upon. You can read about being homeless in books, magazines, or articles. You can hear the statistics, but it all still seems so far away sometimes. Until one day, you realize you don’t where your going to sleep that night. I remember driving around Denver in the middle of the night, looking for a place to park the car that seemed safe enough and I wouldn’t be bothered by cops. There were nights I’d park the car behind a friend's tattoo shop and then sneak into the shop at night after they closed to use the bathroom to clean up and then sleep on the couch in their waiting room. I always had to make sure I was up early enough in the morning so I could leave before the owner got there. Some nights it was so hard to fall asleep. Until I discovered what a great sleep aid vodka is. Some nights I’d end up with a warm place at night but most nights I was happy to have my car and a thick blanket. It never really felt as bad as it sounds. I had a convenient way making sure I stayed numb. I worked my butt off to get out of that situation and I haven't been in that place in along time now. I had to do things I’m not proud of to survive and I don’t plan on ever being in that situation again. I understand why you guys did this for me. So I could have a place that’s stable. So I could know that I have a home. It’s a huge sense of relief I can’t even put into words. I’ve never lived alone. I’ve never had a place to call MY home. I’ve never had a sanctuary to escape to. I have that now. Over my life, I have never felt like I had roots. I feel like I can finally put some roots down. I know I can fly and still have a home to come back to. A place I belong. I'm truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment